The Chabacano Conta

Did you know that aside from 'to count', the word conta has another meaning? If you speak Chabacano, you would know this word as cunta and that it means 'to count'.

In Spanish, aside from 'to count', this word can also mean 'to tell'. I didn't know that this meaning also existed in the Chabacano conta until I heard my mom use this word to mean 'to tell'.

Here are some sentences using the Chabacano word conta, with the definition 'to tell'.

Chabacano: Ya conta le conmigo suyo mga problema.

English: He told me his problems.

Chabacano: Ya conta le conmigo todo que ya pasa con ele durante el tiempo que talla 'le na Filipinas.

Chabacano: He told me everything that happened to him during the time that he was in the Philippines.

The average Chabacano speaker will probably use the word 'habla' and 'ya man cuento' instead of conta in the sentences above. I think that there are a very few people who know this meaning of the word conta and use it.

My hope is that more people will use the word conta in this manner and that this definition of the word conta will again be mainstream one day.

3 comments:

  1. In Caviteño, contá would definitely be understood, although I think platicá might be used more in practice.

    JPS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya conta le conmigo suyo mga problema.
    ( Verb )(Direct Object)(Personal Pronoun)(Object)

    Is that it? What is "Le" here? He?
    and do you have a section here in your page where I could understand clearly the grammatical structure of Chavacano when it comes to Direct Objects? e.g. "Le conmigo suyo"
    Thank you in advance :)
    Vaya con Dios este Page (i dont know if i said that right .. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, le in this sentence would be he. Suyo is his and conmigo is (to) me. Hope that helped.

      Delete