The Chabacano Esnagua and Ensuga

Chavacano

A few months ago, I saw this Chavacano Word of the Day infographic from the City Government's Facebook page featuring the word esnagua. Just like most people in the comments section, I have always known this word as enagua and have never heard anyone say esnagua.

I checked how they spelled this word in Spanish where I assumed this word came from and I found out that it was spelled as enjaguar. This is also how it is spelled in Lexicography (enjagua), the dictionary that was released by the city hall.

Today, I watching a video in Facebook about a dish made from tripe in Mexico called menudo. I checked out some recipes on how to make it and encountered the Spanish word enjuagar.

Chavacano
https://rumbameats.com/es/lafamilia/menudo-rojo/

Apparently, in Spanish the word enjuagar is a synonym of enjaguar. According to what I read, enjaguar is considered an old form of enjuagar and is mostly used in Latin America these days.

Chavacano
https://blog.lengua-e.com/2021/enjuagar-o-enjugar/

Whether it's esnagua or enjagua, the pronounciation is practically the same and very similar to how we pronounce enagua in Chabacano. Because it's very likely that the S in esnagua is omitted in speech, it's going to sound as eh-nagua

But does this word really exist? Based on the comments section of that Facebook post, nobody knows or remembers this word anymore. So I did a simple search on Facebook for this word and surprise, the word actually exists! It seems to be very uncommon but no, it's not an error in Camins' Chabacano dictionary.

Chavacano


Chavacano

Meanwhile, while researching about the word enjuagar, I came across this information and it hit me, the Chabacano word insuga or ensuga came from the Spanish word enjugar!

Chavacano
https://blog.lengua-e.com/2021/enjuagar-o-enjugar/

You may be wondering. How did enjugar become ensuga in Chabacano? It's the same reasoning behind how the Spanish word jabon became sabon in Tagalog.

Comments