Origins of the Chabacano Vira

Since I don’t speak much Spanish, I’m afraid I can’t explain very well how the word virar is used in Spanish. My Spanish dictionary though says that it means to turn or to go back (vehicle). I guess if a vehicle makes a U turn, that would be virar. Or maybe, if a ship is heading to Manila from Zamboanga and decides to turn around and head back to Zamboanga, that is virar.

In Chabacano, this word is pronounced as bira. In this article, I will use the Spanish spelling.

In Chabacano, the word vira means to return or go back (when this word means to return or go back). . It is the equivalent of the Spanish volver . Here are some examples of how to use the word vira in Chabacano.

Chabacano: Vira yo na Zamboanga despues de diez anos.

English: I will go back to Zamboanga after ten years.

Chabacano: Vira kame otra vez na Manila algun dia.

English: We will go to Manila again someday.

Chabacano: Cuando tu vira na oficina?

English: When will you go back to the office?

The word vira can also means to turn. Here are some examples with this kind of usage:

Chabacano: No tu vira cara.

English: Don’t look back (Literally, don’t turn your face).

Here is a common expression in Chabacano: vira vira or viray viray or vira que vira.

Here is an example using this.

Chabacano: Vira vira man ese perro aqui?

English: Why is that dog always coming here (or returning here)?

1 comment:

  1. My curiosity toward the chavacano language keeps me reading your blog. Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete