The Chabacano in Cotabato
At the Día del Libro several months ago, a guy comes up to the booth and asks me what 'hello' is in Chabacano. My mind immediately went into overthinking mode just like last year when the same thing happened.
Last year, I was sharing a booth with another organization when this man walks up to me and asks what 'hello' is in Chabacano. My mind went on a spiral because one of my pet peeves is when I see people online say that 'hello' is 'hola' in Chabacano. I mean you have the same problem in Tagalog or Filipino. I notice when foreigners ask what 'hello' is in Tagalog, they usually get a reply like 'magandang araw' or 'kumusta' (which are all indirect translations).
When he saw that I had a hard time answering the question, he was like oh, come on, you translated Le Petit Prince but can't translate one simple word? But isn't it possible that the concept of a verbal greeting is a western import? I mean what if the original native greeting was just a nod or raising of eyebrows and grunting at each other?
For me, the best answer to the question 'what is hello in Tagalog, Filipino, or even Chabacano' is simply that it’s also 'hello'. Because hello! Isn’t that the word we all use, whether we are speaking Tagalog, Cebuano, or Chabacano? I also wrote about the word hola in Chabacano back in 2021 wherein I described seeing more influencers start their videos or programs with a 'hola'. Five years later, the trend is still strong, but will it eventually spread to being used conversationally? We shall see. For now, hola is a very prescriptivist answer to what hello is in Chabacano. In real life, just like in Tagalog or in any other place in the Philippines, we all use the word hello.
Back to present time, I was about to ask the man in front of me if he wanted a descriptivist answer or a prescriptivist answer when I realized that he probably just wanted to start a conversation and not listen to an entire lecture.
It turns out this man spoke Chabacano and he was from Cotabato! The Chabacano in Cotabato is usually listed as a separate variant but it's definitely mutually intelligible with the Chabacano in Zamboanga City if I were to judge just based on my interaction with this person.
In fact, when I asked this person what were the differences between our Chabacano, he had a hard time coming up with an answer. It wasn't until I mentioned the presence of words from the Maguindanaon language in their Chabacano that he confirmed that this is indeed one of the differences between the two Chabacano languages. I only came across this information through my brother who met someone from Cotabato who spoke Chabacano.
Another thing that he mentioned was the word 'manada' not being used in Cotabato which was very interesting because Camins in his dictionary talks about using 'manada' as a synonym of 'mucho' is incorrect. He explains that it is a noun meaning herd. Obviously in contemporary Chabacano, 'manada' as an adjective is already accepted and it is interchangeable with 'mucho'. It's important to note that Camins wrote the dictionary back in the last quarter of the previous century and he was very old when he did it. So, it seems that this word was fossilized in the Chabacano in Cotabato and did not go through the same evolution as its counterpart in Zamboanga.
Another word that behaves like this is 'menta', which is used to mean 'to accuse' but is listed as 'to mention' in Chabacano dictionaries. Perhaps, it is also fossilized in the Chabacano in Cotabato.





Comments
Post a Comment